Wednesday, December 9, 2009

WOMEN AND CARTOONS......








I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but women have a different sense of humor than men. I'll draw a cartoon that absolutely cracks me up and show it to my wife and she will have a blank look on her face, or worse yet, a look of disdain. Let's face it, men laugh at gross stuff. They think pain is funny. And, more often than not, they snicker at things women deem very serious.



When I began doing cartoons for supermarket tabloids and other magazines geared toward the fairer sex, I had to think differently. I had to imagine, "Now what is funny to a female?".


Such a task is not easy for a man. A few times, I actually hit the nail on the head and sold a 'toon to a femaile audience, but most of the time the women editor's mailed me back a big fat rejection notice.



So, mostly, I stay on my side of the fence, cooking up jokes that appeal to my own gender. But, occassionally, my wife laughs out loud at one of my drawings and I realize that sometimes humor appeals to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment